Tuesday 3 November 2015

The Highlander

Over the past few weeks I've been tinkering away on a new robot picture between coursework. Last week I finally finished it. This one actually started out as a character design for the main brief, when I was still considering the Adbot idea. Needless to say though, I quickly began to overwork it, and then after a few weeks of tinkering on it, the robot was finished. Once I realised the way the robot was going, I begun my usual steps of working out a theme for the bot. I already had most of the head designed, and at was a sharp, nasty looking one. So I rolled that idea around in my head for a while, and eventually came up with the idea of doing a Scottish Warrior robot. A little bit of Glasgow, a little bit of Braveheart, and a whole load of metal and fur. It had been a long while since my last proper robot picture, and I wanted to use some new skills in it. The main one I used here was the use of fabric for the flags and drapes of the robot. I wanted to achieve a mix of fabric and armour plating, but to manage to differentiate both of those from the core skeleton of the robot. I also managed to use my improved rendering skills with the textiles and with the wooden staff. The robot was initially meant to be holding a sword in its right hand and to have an empty left hand. But I forgot about that when I was drawing the torso and accidently filled in the area where the sword would go. So then I had to work with what I had, and by the end a walking stick seemed like a better fit, although I did add a flag to it. It's also worth noting that this picture was created completely freehand, with no rulers, or even pencil sketches. It's all just fineliner. So without further ado, here's Mad Mel the Scotsman.

No comments:

Post a Comment