Sunday 21 February 2016

Character Modelling


Recently, we finally got a chance to model our characters in Cinema 4D. I get the feeling it was something that most of the class had been eagerly awaiting. In practice however, it was a lot trickier than expected, as it needed to all be constructed from a single shape. I also made life rather difficult for myself by using my own character design rather than one of Jay's. In the first lesson, this posed a huge problem, as I couldn't follow what everyone else was doing. I was very temped to rebuild the model at a later date but I held out hope that i could fix it. Thankfully, I learned a lot about Cinema 4D whilst building the robot torso, and the second lecture I knocked it out of the park. I managed to finish on time whilst fixing last week's problems and making my character's unique features stay included.
The model was built very roughly as it appears above, but a subdivision surface makes it look like it does on the right by converting the angles to curves. It's a really nice effect. Also, only one half of the model was actually made, and the other was flipped over using the symmetry too. Cinema 4D is crazy. But super useful.

After finishing the second lesson with what you see on the right I decided I would texture it up to see what it would look like, and more importantly, so I could show it for Formative. I simply sliced up the original model then applied a different texture to each piece. I also made the hair and mouth using the hair tool, and the glasses and lapels with basic polygons.


No comments:

Post a Comment