Sunday 21 February 2016

Rotoscoping

First up - a disclaimer: I wasn't in the rotoscoping workshop due to Manchester Animation Festival, so I just kinda gave it a shot on my own.

For the source material I racked my brain for something that would work for this and also be quite fun. I settled on one of my favourite GIFs on the internet, a Transformers: More Than meets The Eye parody of a football robot falling over on a Japanese TV show.


Despite having a relatively low frame rate, it was surprisingly difficult to rotoscope. I suspect that was in part from having to figure everything out myself rather than being able to run off for help like I could in a workshop. Secondly is that the GIF was a rather tricky choice. Tailgate falls on and off the canvas repeatedly and changes angles a lot. Plus the camera is moving and zooming left, right, and center. But in the end I'm happy with how it turned out. It's quite a lot of fun.


Football Robots (Rotoscoping Practice) from Jonny Clementson on Vimeo.

No comments:

Post a Comment