Sunday 8 May 2016

More Typography

For the final round of Nick's typography classes we continued the theme of making type out of other objects. Because doing the same thing as the last few weeks means less time making lesson plans. Le sigh.

Gripes with teaching methods aside, I made a handful of new selections of type over the last couple of months. Continuing the food-based themes of the last attempt, I decided to branch out into breakfast cereal. I made Holey out of Honey Cheerios, and I made Shredded from Shreddies. I tried to go for a more jagged typeface for the latter and a smoother one for the former. I'm happy with these. They're nice, clean, and have a lot of personality to them. I edited away the original table and added a more complimenting colour for the background as well. Afterwards I did some experimenting with layouts before finalising the text.



Following that, I made another pair at home. By squirting mayonnaise at a baking tray I wrote out Saucy. This took a good few attempts and quite a lot of wasted sauce. I've uploaded the two I'm happiest with. The latter especially. I tried to go for a swirly typeface and it turned out so nicely.

Finally, I made I Am Alphabetical using alphabet fridge magnets. This was far more difficult than the rest to create as I actually made and photographed it on the fridge. This led to one of the most difficult edits I've had to do in a long time. It's due to this that it has a fairly polished finish, as I had to pull away more of the shapes than I would have liked. Thankfully this translated to a super nice final piece of typography. I think this one's my favourite of the bunch. You might want to zoom in here,


So to wrap up this year typography-wise, I've had a whole lot of fun with it. Once we moved into the realms of building text out of household things it became really enjoyable. Sadly however, unlike the other production categories, I can't honestly say I've been taught anything about type. Most of what I've learned from this project came from the editing process, and that all came from my way of working rather than intention. So to conclude, I'm not happy with the physical studio for this year. It's been my biggest gripe of this year by far. A few weeks of typography would be a useful tool for any animator. But a whole year? As fun as the novelty type has been, I can't see it playing a huge part in my future. I think a better way to do things would be to have a different set of lessons for the animators, focusing on things like motion and storyboarding. We aren't taught these things unlike most animation courses so to have them in production would be a HUGE help. But as it stands, I'm a little disappointed.


No comments:

Post a Comment